THE STORY BEHIND
ABU COFFEE was named to honor the memory of José Guillermo Luttrell Tedman, the third generation of coffee producers, and to continue his dream of achieving what he considered the best-balanced coffee cup; a Geisha raised with the highest standards of quality.
That is why "ABU" (short for Abuelo, grandfather in Spanish), as his grandchildren used to call him, represents the legacy of this visionary and passionate lover of Boquete and specialty coffee that we want to preserve for the generations to come.
ABU COFFEE is a Geisha varietal cultivated in the region of Cañas Verdes, Boquete, in a humid and rainy microclimate typical of the tropical forest. Coffee trees are grown on the slopes of the Volcán Barú National Park, which are fertile, well-drained, volcanic origin, and deep soils enriched with organic content.
The average altitude is 1550 meters above sea level. The shade protecting the plantation is given by native trees that grow in harmony with abundant local flora and fauna, respecting the environment and biodiversity. Given its strategic geographic location, sunlight is a crucial element throughout the whole process. The plantation receives powerful solar radiation, interrupted in the mornings and sunsets by a soft tropical mist known locally as "Bajareque" and caressed by thick fog.
Harvest season begins in summer, approximately in December and extends until March, months when the humidity drops, which, combined with the natural shade and the Bajareque mist, achieves the perfect balance for the maturation process. As a result, the cherries develop their maximum potential, optimally intensifying the sugars, and enriching the bean's flavor.
The virgin rain forests where the ABU COFFEE plantations lie within make of its climate an extraordinary condition to achieve a unique combination of characteristics that make our Geisha and Catuai one-of-a-kind coffee with personality, intense juicy flavors, and aromatic floral notes.
- Region: Cañas Verdes - Boquete
- Farm: Hacienda Cañas Verdes
- Variety: Geisha and Catuai
- Elevation: 1,550 masl.
- Shade: 60% by native species of trees
- Soil: Volcanic
- Slope: South of Volcán Barú
- Avg. Temperature: 10°C-23°C
- Avg. Rainfall: 3,500 mm
- Harvest year: January to March
- Harvest Method: 100% handpicking
This box is composed of 4 amazing coffees produced by José Luttrell of Abu Coffee Panama:
- Abu Gesha Natural 6N (V60 Brew Guide)
- Abu Gesha Natural 7N (Aeropress Brew Guide)
- Abu Gesha Natural 9N (Espresso Brew Guide)
- Abu Gesha Washed 15G (April Brewer Brew Guide)
- ABU COFFEE, a young Geisha farm with only six years of production, has participated for five (5) consecutive years in the Best of Panama Competition among the most recognized brands of Geisha coffees from Panama, with outstanding results demonstrating consistency in our processes and high-quality standards.
- For the first time, we participated in the 2017 Best of Panama Competition with our Geisha Washed, winning the sixth place with a 91.52 points score.
- In 2018 Best of Panama, ABU COFFEE Geisha Natural won the 12th place with a score of 90.5 and the 15th place with the Geisha Washed and a score of 90.25 points.
- In 2019 Best of Panama competition, ABU COFFEE won 8 th place with our Geisha Washed, a score of 92 points and 12th place with our Geisha Natural, a 91.25 points score.
- In 2020 Best of Panama, ABU COFFEE won 11th place with our Geisha Natural and a score of 91.75 points.
- In 2021 Best of Panama, ABU COFFEE won 5th place with our Catuai Natural, a score of 89.00 points and Catuai Washed, a score of 88.5 points. Also, ABU COFFEE won 14th place with our Geisha Washed and a score of 90.75 points.
Luttrell, Josè (2021). ABU COFFEE English Brochure, p2-7
Don't miss out on this unique ride of flavors and discoveries. Click here to experience Abu Coffee Panama: José Luttrell.